Saturday, January 11, 2020

Bella and the Bulldogs

Bella and the Bulldogs was a Nickelodeon show that aired in 2015, about a girl cheerleader who became her school's quarterback with all of the drama with her friends, team, and boys. My friend and I watched it on Netflix the other day just to see how cringy it was, but I realized how important the message was for young girls watching the show. Even though as we were watching it we were only paying attention to the horrible acting, weird plotline, and how it is nothing like high school at all. But at the time that this originally aired, I was ten years old, I had no clue what actual good acting was or if that was going to be my high school experience. I was oblivious to this, because the main message was that girls could do anything a boy could do, even the ones you would never expect because their appearance fits the typical "girly girl" stereotype. These ideas being expressed through something that a lot of young girls will watch shows that the girls do not have to be the cheerleader, they can be the star of the game. But, because it also shows her friends still being apart of the cheer team, it shows to its viewers that girls can be whatever they want to be, whether it be stereotypically masculine or feminine. Although as we watch this as teenagers now laughing at it (not because the show made a joke), it is vital for kids to experience and see that they can be whoever they want to be. Image result for bella and the bulldogs

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, there are certain television shows that are from around then, or even earlier that go along with stereotypes of women and girls. An example of this would be Ant Farm. They use two blonde girls who are pretty in the eyes of societies views of beauty and have them act dumb and like they cannot do much. This movie you are talking about is a great way in breaking these stereotypes that media presents.

    ReplyDelete

Media Blog Reflection

Before this critical thinking class, I had never really thought about the media that surrounds me, and how much I actually consume. I alre...