Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Say Yes to the Dress

On the popular television channel TLC, a popular show is called Say Yes to the Dress. The show consists of different brides and their families trying on different wedding dresses and trying to decide which dress is perfect for their wedding. But, every single time, something is out of the ordinary. Whether the family's desires are so bizarre or unachievable, or the bride is in some crazy circumstance. So, something tells me that these situations are set up. The extreme situations and problems that they have to try and overcome are purely for more viewers. Viewers are attracted to drama, and that is why many reality television shows are popular, and the show leaves you on a cliffhanger as you go to commercials. Cliffhangers of drama always keep bringing you in, so you have something to pay attention to and not skip to a new show, because you want to know what's going to happen next. A few years ago, one of my coaches and I were talking about the show, and she informed me that one of her friends was actually asked to be on the show. So, this proves that the family's drama and desires, or even being related at all, are all fake. This is even a little obvious because of how weird some situations can be, but it still attracts people to watch it. Humans are not attracted to real, but attracted to drama.
Image result for say yes to the dress

2 comments:

  1. Yes!! I definitely agree with how many things are actually staged, just like Dance Moms. Some of the crazy drama and fights that the mothers have are actually fake, and that to attract viewers to reality shows, they have to make it a little farther from reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I think they just interview people and choose the person that's the most interesting so they get more views and so that there will be more drama that people will like more. It gives is more soap opera vibes.

    ReplyDelete

Media Blog Reflection

Before this critical thinking class, I had never really thought about the media that surrounds me, and how much I actually consume. I alre...