Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Media Blog Reflection

Before this critical thinking class, I had never really thought about the media that surrounds me, and how much I actually consume. I already knew that I felt as if I was addicted to social media and my phone, but I was oblivious to the other parts of media that were invisible to me. I am on my phone constantly, and when I am not, I am still bombarded with different types of media that I can barely control. Once my phone is down, there is either the radio playing, the television, or even just a billboard as I’m walking or driving home. But, this class has changed the way I think about it, but not my habits. I have noticed the different techniques that advertisers use and how different morals or stereotypes are pushed in our face, trying to get us to agree with them to almost make their own cult behind a brand. I still have not changed my habits with media though. It feels as if I am a hypocrite because I notice the toxicity that the media puts on consumers, and it almost makes me more addicted. I am constantly on my phone, watching videos, movies, and television, but not because of the obvious techniques, because it is a form and outlet for boredness and entertainment for me. 

This journal for me was a different type of work that didn’t bore me, or seen as busywork. Every post was a new topic, analyzing something new that I wouldn’t have noticed previously if Mr.Starace hadn’t pointed it out. These posts highlighted one of the things that I spend my most time with, but allowed me to not look at it like I was brainless before. Rather than constantly consuming media, unconsciously altering how I see things, I made myself not fall under the spell of different forms of media. It is vital to be an educated consumer or else you may no longer have your own conscious thoughts, and it will feel as if you are being controlled by the media, just like a majority of addicted Americans are. Image result for reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Media Blog Reflection

Before this critical thinking class, I had never really thought about the media that surrounds me, and how much I actually consume. I alre...